Weinstein rape claim 'credible', say NY police
Police say a rape allegation against Harvey Weinstein is “credible” and they are gathering evidence as a senior prosecutor takes charge of the case.
Actress Paz de la Huerta, who claims the Hollywood producer raped her twice in her apartment, has been interviewed by police in New York City.
Detectives say her story is believable and have corroborated parts of her story.
“She put forth a credible and detailed narrative to us,” said New York’s chief of detectives, Robert Boyce.
“We then sought to garner corroboration. This happened seven years ago, and we found corroboration along the way.
“We immediately contacted the district attorney in New York and we started working the case together. We have an actual case here, so we are happy with where the investigation is right now.
“Mr Weinstein is out of state, we would need an arrest warrant to arrest him.
“So right now we are gathering our evidence. We continue to do so every day. So that’s where we are in the case right now.”
Manhattan’s district attorney’s office confirmed a senior prosecutor was looking at the case.
Paz de la Huerta, who appeared in the Boardwalk Empire series, spoke to Vanity Fair about her claims.
She described the alleged encounter: “He pushed me onto the bed and his pants were down and he lifted up my skirt. I felt afraid… It wasn’t consensual… When he was done he said he’d be calling me.”
It is at least the third Weinstein case that police in New York have examined.
Police in London and Los Angeles are also investigating claims against the movie mogul.
Weinstein had been ostracised by Hollywood but strongly denies any non-consensual sexual activity took place.
As the scandal widens, police in Britain are now investigating an allegation of sexual assault by actor Kevin Spacey.
They are looking into a claim that a man assaulted another man in the London borough of Lambeth in 2008.
The incident was referred to Scotland Yard on Wednesday.
At the time of the alleged assault Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic theatre, a role he held between 2003 and 2015.
Spacey has faced multiple accusations of sexual harassment or abuse over the last week, after actor Anthony Rapp said the star had made a sexual advance toward him in 1985.
The House of Cards star said he did “not remember the encounter”, but said that he was “beyond horrified to hear his story”.
On Thursday, Spacey’s publicist said the actor was seeking “evaluation and treatment” following the allegations about his behaviour.
Meanwhile, two former child actors have spoken exclusively to Sky News about sexual abuse they suffered at the hands of Hollywood paedophiles.